Monday, March 23, 2015

Cuckoo Callay, Newtown


I have been eye-ing this place since I was still back in Jakarta and made a pact with myself that I have to be there and experienced the Bacon Festival myself! Envy looking at my friends posting all those yummy pictures while I can only sit back and drools ;p So another tick in my never-ending restaurant list! Went last Sunday with my foodie troops; Mr.Wjt, Mr.Us and Mr.P! I know I should bring all those guys for the Bacon week menus.

The location of the place itself is very convenient, it is exactly right outside Newtown station. At first, I didn't realized that was it, but looking at the queue and the catchy pink sign pointed that it is Cuckoo Callay :p


The place isn't very big, they have both outdoor and indoor seating. We were lucky to be seated outside cause the lighting was very good and the weather was perfect as well!

They do table service as well as takeaway orders. Look out for the board near the entrance door, that's where you write your name for the queue. Luckily, we don't have to wait that long before we were seated.


 I ordered the Orange, Carrot and Ginger freshly squeezed juice. So good... even though I was expecting more ginger note in it ;P I'm such an oldies!

Orange, Carrot and Ginger Juice $7
As I'm ordering quite a bit of food, I decided to pick this seemingly light 'What a Croque of Bacon' which consist of Bacon, Basil and Vintage cheddar croquettes served with bourbon bacon, pea puree and two poached eggs. The portion looks tiny but it does fill me up good. I also ordered smoked salmon as a side for an extra $6. The eggs were poached perfectly and I can really taste that bourbon note in the bacon, was so damn good!

What a Croque of Bacon $19

Boys.. being boys, ordered the dish that has everything in it! 'Bacon All the Rules' - Black Forest Smokehouse Maple bacon, bourbon bacon, bacon steak, bacon sausage and bacon-crumbed poached eggs served on sourdough! It's like all bacon goodness in one plate! I did try a bit of everything and my favourite would be the bacon steak! thick cut of bacon and it was perfectly smoked and just so scrumptious!

Bacon All the Rules $24
And to end the meal, instead of the bacon waffle, I ordered the Drizzle Sticks - Crunchy Black Forest Smokehouse streaky bourbon bacon drizzled in chocolate and Hazelnut. Its so wrong its good! The bacon was served quite cold and yet crunchy. The combination of the saltiness and the sweetness just blends in really well and the hazelnut adds a texture to the bacon streak. It's just too good to share ;p
Drizzle sticks $10
Overall experienced was awesome. We were all full and happy! The Bacon festival does lift up to their hype... I would love to come back to try their other menus, maybe next time in June when I'm back in Sydney ;p It's one of those days when my friend complimented me of recommending satisfying food to try.. :)


Cuckoo Callay on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time visiting my blog and commenting on my post :) Hope that we can exchange tips and be Friends ^^